Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Happy Days

Growing up, some of my happiest memories involve swimming competitively. I loved it so much. My swimming years were a formative time in my life when I learned the value of hard work and learned how to believe in myself. Many of my teammates during that time had parents who pushed them so hard. We all knew who those swimmers were because they were always so much more stressed out and much more likely to burst into tears before or after a race or practice.

I took for granted the support I got from my parents, but looking back now I have nothing but gratitude and admiration. They got up with me at 5am to get me to swim practice; they drove me hours to weekend swim meets; they sat with me all day while we waited for my 2 minute race; they cheered for me and made me feel great about myself; when I swam slower than I would have liked, they let me know that there was always next time; and they never made me feel guilty for all the driving and hours of hard work that THEY put into my swimming.

I realize in looking back now that it wasn't just swimming that taught me so many things, but it was my parents' support and positive attitudes that gave me what I needed to face the world.

Jane Hodge
The Middle Daughter

No comments: